2012 Book Count: 44

2013 Book Count: ???

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

"The Art of Racing in the Rain" - Garth Stein



Published in 2008 by Bright White Light LLC

Movies have never been able to make me reach an emotional level where I need to cry for he characters.  But books, books get me bad sometimes.  Especially when they are about animals.  This is a book narrated by a dog who loves Formula One racing and driving in the rain.  He loves Aynton Senna, and He loves Denny (his owner).

This novel is about Enzo, a wonderful dog who helps his family through hard times and good and his final choice to help them by letting him go.  I read it in 2 days (well one day and then night time until 2am) and although it may not have been the best literature written ever, it was a moving story.  Sometimes funny, sometimes sad, Garth Stein took a dog and gave him a human soul.

Quotes:
"Monkeys have thumbs.  Practically the dumbest species on the planet, next to the duck-billed-platypus, who make their dens underwater even though they breathe the air.  The platypus is horribly stupid, but it is only slightly dumber than a monkey.  Yet monkeys have thumbs.  Those monkey-thumbs were meant for dogs.  Give me my thumbs, you fucking monkeys! (I love the Al Pacino remake of Scarface, very much, though it doesn't compare to the Godfather movies, which are excellent.)"

"To live everyday as if it had been stolen from death, that is how I would like to live."

Rating: ***

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't put it down when I read it! Enzo saw the world both from a human and canine perspective. made me think of how much we share with our pets and other animals.

    ReplyDelete