2012 Book Count: 44

2013 Book Count: ???

Thursday, March 8, 2012

"What Color is Your Parachute 2012" - Richard N. Bolles


Published in 2012 by Ten Speed Press

This book is touted as "the best-selling job-hunting book in the world, 10 million copies sold, revised and updated Annually." And that is an excellent description of what I expected from it.  A great manual to help me find my way in the crazy job market.  As it is in it's 40th year of republishing, it seemed pretty dang trustworthy.

Like many people my age, I graduated from college under the impression that someone was just going to hand me a job and say "thanks so much for your hard work, your office is in the corner."  But obviously, that's not really how the world works.  So for almost two years I have been updating, changing, sending, faxing, emailing, and color coding my resume.  With little to no luck.

A friend recommended I try this book to give my resume a little more direction, he didn't mention that it is a great way to reevaluate what I am looking for and HOW I am searching for it.  Through exercises, lists and some actual self evaluation I was able to completely revamp my resume and give myself a second wind (who am I kidding, 14th or 15th wind is more accurate.)

Rating: ****

No comments:

Post a Comment