2012 Book Count: 44

2013 Book Count: ???

Thursday, March 8, 2012

"Murder in the Palais Royale" - Cara Black


Published in 2010 by Soho Press

I decided to start in the middle of the "Aimee Leduc Investigation" series, because honestly, why do anything the right way.  And I am delightfully pleased!  Since I have been planning for my upcoming trip to France this novel seemed like a perfect introduction to the less seen Paris (in this case, murder and some fun cafes.)  While I was at the Bookswap in the city last week I met author Cara Black and we had a fun and insightful chat about what to see and avoid when in Paris for the day, and afterwards I decided that talking to her had been so fun I might as well give her writing a try.

This was a fabulous idea! Black's main character, Aimee Leduc, is a parisian born and bred.  She has inherited her father's, and grandfather's before that, detective agency which she runs with her best friend Rene.  Black does a great job of weaving ideas from previous books in without making the reader feel confused having not read those books.  And she makes sure to add a little incentive in the last few pages to make the next book seem even more appealing.

Quotes:
" 'Dealing with you, as Commissaire Morbier told me, makes herding feral cats look easy,' Melac said"

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment