2012 Book Count: 44

2013 Book Count: ???

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

"When the Killing's Done" - T.C. Boyle


Published in 2011 by Penguin Books

You know what I have always wondered? What does the C stand for.  Not the T, I assume Tom, Timothy, Toreador, who cares. But the C, oh the C.  And now I know.

T. Coraghessan Boyle

wowsers, that's a name.

I shall name my first born son Coraghessan, and he shall stand up to the ridiculously named youth of his generation (Rykers, things with "X" in them, etc)

Moving on.  I am not usually a fan of Mr. Boyle's work.  I couldn't get through 40 pages of Tortilla Curtain, and The Women was taxing at the best of times.  But this was surprisingly innovative and delightful.  While I wouldn't say that it lived up to the hype that the review on the back cover gave it, it also never dragged or dimmed.

The story is about Santa Barbara and the Channel Islands off the coast, it tells of shipwrecks, endangered species, and non-native animals who threaten the balance of life on the island.  The war waging between two environmental groups (one pro-killing of animals not native to the islands, one a douchey guy who Boyle makes sure you know you should hate) and their increasingly dangerous interactions.

Overall, I was a fan.  Hooray Mr. Boyle!

Rating: ***

Quotes:
nothing particularly memorable. meh!

No comments:

Post a Comment