2012 Book Count: 44

2013 Book Count: ???

Friday, November 30, 2012

"Sweet Tooth" - Ian McEwan



Published in 2012 by Jonathan Cape

King of the Twist! That is my new nickname for Ian McEwan.  If you have read (or seen) Atonement you already know that this guys got endings in the bag.  I was truly surprised when this novel flipped from slightly boring romantic intrigue based in the 1970s, and made me go back a page to catch the twist again.

This is the story of Serena Frome (rhymes with Plume) and her induction and service with MI5.  It is the 1970's in Britain and there is considerable turmoil over communism and how to sneakily keep the citizens from seeing it as a good idea.  McEwan explores the relationship between government and literature, and throws in a healthy dose of girlish anxiety.

It wasn't my favorite novel, a little bland but well written and then end was worth the few days it took.  Unlike atonement, the characters weren't quite as well formed and I personally didn't feel any real emotional bond to them.

Rating: ***

Quotes:
"I didn't use, and hadn't even heard, the word "totalitarianism." I probably would have through it had something to do with refusing a drink.

"I was the bases of readers.  All I wanted was my own world, and myself in it, given back to me in artful shapes and accessible form"

"It was vulgar to want it, but I liked someone to say "Marry me" by the end.

"There was, in me view, an unwritten contract with the reader that the writer must honor.  No single element of an imagined world or any of its characters should be allowed to dissolve on authorial whim. The invented had to be as solid and as self-consistent as the actual.  This was a contract founded on mutual trust."

2 comments:

  1. I have Atonement but have yet to read that, too.

    What is the maximum number of *s in your rating system again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is out of 5 stars.

    * Hated it (F)
    ** Didn't like it (D)
    *** didn't love or hate it (C average)
    ****Liked it! (B)
    ***** Loved it (A)

    a combination of the netflix scale and my grades through college... So this was actually a 2.5 until the last chapter won me over a bit more, but not enough to save my thoughts on the entire book.

    ReplyDelete