2012 Book Count: 44

2013 Book Count: ???

Saturday, October 27, 2012

"Howl's Moving Castle" - Diana Wynne Jones


Published in 1986 by Harper Collins

Sophie is the oldest of three daughters in a land where that is considered a terrible fate.  After her father (Mr. Hatter) dies, she gives in to her fate of running his hat shop while her two younger sisters go off to seek their fortunes.  But when an evil witch arrives in the hat shop and casts a spell on her, all bets are off as she begins an adventure to break the curse and see if the oldest of three can do something more with her life.

She walks into the hills where she finds Howl's Moving Castle.  Howl is a dark wizard known to eat the hearts of pretty young girls but Sophie figures that with the spell cast upon her she might get out alive.

I saw the movie version of this first and didn't even realize it was a book until reading through a list of 100 books you should read before you are 20 (fine, I am over 20, shush).  The movie has more magic and crazy caricatures but the book is a little more fun and the story has a few more crazy twists and turns.

Quotes:
“Go to bed, you fool," Calcifer said sleepily. "You're drunk."
"Who, me?" said Howl. "I assure you, my friends, I am cone sold sober." He got up and stalked upstairs, feeling for the wall as if he thought it might escape him unless he kept in touch with it. His bedroom door did escape him.” 

“I feel ill," [Howl] announced. "I'm going to bed, where I may die.” 

Rating: ***

No comments:

Post a Comment