2012 Book Count: 44

2013 Book Count: ???

Monday, February 27, 2012

"The Sweet Life in Paris" - David Lebovitz


Published by Broadway Paperbacks in 2009

Another foodie delight! I seem to have an accidental habit for picking up books written by cooks who happened to start their careers within blocks of my current home.  Lebovitz was a pastry chef at Chez Panisse (a fancy Berkeley restaurant that I still haven't convinced myself to go to given the outlandish prices.)  After his partner died he decided that a change was necessary and moved his life to a small one bedroom flat in Paris.

The book chronicles some of his adventures, with less panache than Reichl in my opinion, but the recipes he throws in for flavor seem to hit a little closer to home.  In fact, while reading this book I made one of the recipes and was surprised at how simple and delicious it was!

Quotes:
"serve with a chilled glass or fillette of white wine, such as Muscadet, Sancerre, or Sauvignon Blanc.  Enjoy, by yourself"
- Regarding his warm goat cheese salad recipe

"you need to clamp my mouth closed and massage my neck to get that hyperthick stuff down my throat -- like forcing a dog to swallow a pill"
- Regarding most parisian Hot Chocolate

Rating:
writing **
recipes ****

No comments:

Post a Comment